Our History.

Thomas J. Hughes Funeral Home

The Thomas J. Hughes Funeral Home was established in 1957. The namesake, Thomas J. Hughes, Sr. was a graduate of the American Academy of Funeral Service, New York City, and served his residency at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel. Upon completion, he returned to Scranton where he opened the original location, which sits at 1240 St. Ann St. He and his wife, the former Marion Garvey, lived and raised their family in the apartment above, while also running the business out of the first floor.  
 
In 1983, his oldest son, Al, followed in the footsteps of his father, and became a licensed funeral director. Four years later, his youngest son, Tim also joined the family business. Together, they served the Scranton community from the primary funeral home, until the late 80's when they began working with the Mary Eagen Funeral Home. Eventually, the Eagen Funeral Home was purchased and the Eagen-Hughes Funeral Home branch was formed in the Minooka section of Scranton. Extensive renovations were done to the building and parking lot, which added to the capacity of the building.  
 
In the late 90s, the business continued to expand, as the McGoff Funeral Home was purchased. However, Thomas Sr. passed away in 1999 during the process of renovations to the newly formed McGoff-Hughes Funeral Home, Inc. in the Green Ridge Section of Scranton. In 2004, his grandson, Thomas J. Hughes III joined the business, becoming the third generation to serve the community. As a licensed insurance agent with Nationwide Insurance, he also has the ability to help with your life insurance needs.  
 
The business continued to operate with three funeral homes, until the purchase of Davies & Jones Funeral Chapel in 2012. With this addition, we are now able to accommodate the needs of the Scranton community by offering four convenient locations throughout the city. We look forward to answering your questions and making the funeral process as comforting as possible.